Which Cudi video did you like more?

Monday, July 27, 2009

Mixtape Monday 7/27

The CD icons are direct links to download the zip file for each mixtape. For Promo use only.




Title: DJ Ill Will & DJ Rockstar Present Ya Boy - Mohawks & Heavy Metal

Rating: 4.5/10 Speakers

Favorite Tracks: Heavy Metal, Life I Lead, Brand New

Review: When I saw this mixtape I automatically expected it to have lots of heavy metal sounding songs and rock star riffs, however that was not the case. It ended up being some very nice beats over half decent rhymes. Although, I did find that Ya Boy is very versatile because on some tracks his flow sounds different and his voice does not even sound like the same person at times. I will give him one thing, he had some very catchy hooks, but an artist needs more depth than hooks. The mixtape as a whole did not flow well. It was very randomly placed together. One thing that really bothered me was the theme was “Mohawks & Heavy Metal”, but only about a fourth of the cd had to do with the theme. The songs that were related with the theme of the mixtape I really liked, but all the other songs could have been left off the cd to me. Towards the end of the mixtape I just got bored and really didn’t want to listen anymore, but I forced my way through it. I have to say I don’t think I would have missed much. This mixtape over all was disappointing; there was a lot of hype over nothing.




Title: Novel Presents Suspended Animation

Rating: 6.5/10 Speakers

Favorite Tracks: Sky Might Fall Remix, Put It On

Review: Some of you might remember the song 2003 song “Peach”. If you don’t here is a link to listen to the song http://tiny.cc/xX4C6 Now, he is on the come-up with his new mixtape. He is a singer, but sometimes he will pull an R. Kelly and rap on the track. However, he does not have the best voice I’ve ever heard, but it is very unique sounding which is appealing to me. His lyrics are very profound and are about current events like Rhianna’s relationship with Chris Brown and domestic violence on the track, “Message To Rhianna”. He also talks about the music industry and evils that are in it and relationships. His mixtape includes some very good features like Ghostface Killa, Colin Munroe, Joell Ortiz and Papoose. Overall, I like this mixtape and thought it was worth listening to, if you are into Neo Soul you will definitely want add Novel to your list.




Title: Pac Div- Church League Champions

Rating: 8/10 Speakers

Favorite Tracks: Mayor, Knuckleheadz, Young Black Male, Back

Review: I first heard of Pac Div because they are currently on tour with Kid Cudi, Asher Roth, and B.o.B for “The Great Hangover Tour”. Originally, I was going so I was like let me research this group so I can have some idea of who they are when I go. I did a little research and found their website which linked me to their exclusive website to download the mixtape (www.churchleaguechampions.com). When I read how they explained the theme I instantly fell in love. When I heard the mixtape there nothing left to say but, “Wow”. It is so refreshing to hear ‘Young Black Male(s)’ with something positive to say without being corny or cheesy. Plus, the beats on every track are crazy. One thing I noted about this rap trio is they don’t try to out rap each other n verses and they flow well together, there is no Justin Timberlake in the group. Their rhymes, while not complicated, are very relatable, but just like Kid Cudi said, “The ones that make complicated never get congratulated.” Keeping it simple is the way to go. The only track on the mixtape that I didn’t too much care for was “No No”, I just feel like it could have been better. Other than that I recommend everyone who claims to love real Hip-Hop should download this mixtape.



The CD icons are direct links to download the zip file for each mixtape. For Promo use only.

0 comments:

Post a Comment